Currently Exploring Items:
    In category: Attractions & Tourism >> Architecture
Found 11 resultsDisplaying 1 through 10

1 2 >>

Atlanta Public Library & Clock Tower
Address: 100 SE Race Street  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Atlanta, IL
Phone: 217-648-2112
Designed in the Neo-Classical style of the 1840s, the interior of the building has high ceilings and a gilded, domed rotunda. In 1979, the Library building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in recognition of its architectural significance for the period 1900 - 1924. In addition to its octagonal shape, the library features a limestone exterior and a prominent clock tower. The 36-foot tall clock tower houses a 1909 Seth Thomas clock and was originally located at the Atlanta High School building. When the high school was to be razed in 1979, concerned citizens began a “Save the Clock” fundraising campaign and the restoration/relocation of the clock tower was completed in 1982. Today, citizens take turns winding the clock to keep it operational. These “Keepers of the Clock” must do so three times a week. The 36-inch, 1,200 pound brass bell sounds on the hour.
Elkhart Public Library
Address: 121 Bohan Street  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Elkhart, IL
Phone: 217-947-2046
The Elkhart Public Library was started with funds from Lemira Gillett for the citizens of Elkhart - if they would vote the town dry for three years. This promise was made in an effort to keep alcohol away from her son, John P. Gillette. The library was built in 1904, and still stands today, as it did in then, including the original tables, bookshelves and interior woodwork.

Related Categories:
Architecture, Attractions
John P. Gillett Memorial Bridge
Address: County Road 10 - Elkhart Cemetery  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Elkhart, IL
Phone: 217-947-2046
Just beyond the Elkhart cemetery on County Road 10 east of downtown Elkhart, is the John P. Gillett Memorial Bridge built in 1915. The bridge was included in Landmarks Illinois' 2005 ten most endangered historic places in Illinois list and is considered an Illinois Landmark. The arched bridge is one of only two privately owned bridges in the state of Illinois. Originally a wooden bridge built in 1899, it was part of the Oglesby estate. The funeral processional for Governor Oglesby, which included Lincoln's son Robert, walked across the original bridge. The bridge was replaced in 1915 with the current concrete, closed-spandrel arch bridge.
Lincoln Post Office
Address: 102 S. McLean Street  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Lincoln, IL
Phone: 217-732-4912
Construction began in 1910 on this Post Office that features a column entry-way similar to surrounding structures.

Related Categories:
Architecture, Attractions
Lincoln Public Library
Address: 725 Pekin Street  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Lincoln, IL
Phone: 217-732-8878
The Lincoln Public Library District's Carnegie building was built in 1902 through donations from Andrew Carnegie and Stephen A. Foley. The building is an extraordinary example of neo-classical architecture and incorporates many features not found in library buildings. Some of these features include ornate woodworking, a stained glass dome, and victorian light fixtures, all of which are in original condition. The building remains faithful to its original design and exemplifies the turn of the century grassroots ideals of free public library and an educated American society. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Related Categories:
Architecture, Attractions
Logan County Courthouse
Address: 601 Broadway Street  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Lincoln, IL
Phone: 217-732-8687
In 1853, Lincoln became the county seat for Logan County and the first courthouse was built on this very spot. A fire destroyed this courthouse in 1857 and most of the Abraham Lincoln documents that existed at that time. In 1858, a second courthouse was build and was used up until 1903 when plans were being made to build a new courthouse. This courthouse now stands on the site of the two previous courthouses and is home to the longest serving courtroom in Illinois. Many architectural features highlight this neo-classical structure such as the Cleveland sandstone exterior and stained glass dome. From the ground to the top of the dome is 125 feet with the dome itself measuring 60 feet in height and 52 feet in diameter. The dome is surrounded by four Seth Thomas clocks that are each 9 feet in diameter.
Samuel Linn Beidler Home
Address: 142 S Marion St  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Mt. Pulaski, IL
Samuel Linn Beidler was a friend of Abraham Lincoln during Lincoln's days on the 8th Judicial circuit and build this early Federal-style home built in 1860 for his bride, Prudence Ann Capps. Prudence was the first girl born in Mt. Pulaski and was the daughter of Jabez Capps, the founder of Mt. Pulaski, and his second wife Elizabeth Baker. The home is built with soft brick manufactured in the Mt. Pulaski tile yard. The house has North facing windows and is set at an angle to utilize the sun. The original home had three square rooms on the first level and three hip roofed rooms on the second level with ladders used to reach the second floor rooms. As the family great to 11 children, more rooms were added to the ground floor in 1880. John Beidler added an arch and stairway in 1910. In 1939, Fred and Hazel Tendick Holmes added a bath, closet and sun porch while still retaining the original lines and charm of the home.
Scully Building
Address: 125 N. Kickapoo St  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Lincoln, IL
Phone: 217-732-8687
The Scully Building is a beautiful example Richardsonian Romanesque architecture that prominently stands on the corner of Kickapoo & Pekin streets in downtown Lincoln. The building was constructed in 1905 at a cost of $60,000 by the son and widow of William Scully. Originally, the Scully Building was the headquarters of the Scully Estate operations. The Scully’s owned 225,000 acres of land in the Midwest. The leases on those acres were managed from this building. After standing as a landmark for nearly a century, the Scully Building was severely damaged by fire on January 16th, 2001. In September of 2008 Integrity Holdings purchased the historic Scully Building with a vision to "restore the structure's beauty and elegance while paying respect to the years of service it has rendered." Demolition of the burned out structure took 4 months with 160 tons of debris and 10 tons of recycled metal removed during that time. Over 6 months of work went into repair and restoration the red sandstone facade, the showcase of the building's exterior. On September 13th, 2010, the Scully Building re-opened for business as the home office for Integrity Data.

Related Categories:
Architecture, Attractions
St. John the Baptist Chapel
Address: County Road 10 - Elkhart Cemetery  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Elkhart, IL
Phone: 217-947-2046
Lemira Gillett built this Episcopalian Chapel in 1890 for $10,000 in memory of her husband John Dean Gillett. It is the only privately owned and operated church in Illinois. Constructed by the Culver Stone and Marble Company of Springfield, it is one of the few remaining Culver buildings in the area. Designed in Gothic Revival style with thick walls of Grafton Limestone, it houses one of the oldest working pipe organs in the state (built by Hook and Hasting Company out of Boston). Beautiful Tiffany style stained-glass windows grace the interior of this historic chapel. It is located in Elkhart Grove, within the cemetery on Elkhart Hill. On April 28, 1899, the chapel held the funeral of Governor Richard Oglesby. The inside walls of the chapel have most of the names of Elkhart’s Civil War veterans inscribed in the original stone.

Related Categories:
Architecture, Attractions
The Lincoln Theater
Address: 215 S. Kickapoo Street  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Lincoln, IL
Phone: 217-732-2929
Opened in 1923, this Italian Villa style theater offers historic charm & a modern movie going experience.

Related Categories:
Architecture, Attractions