Currently Exploring Items:
    In category: Attractions & Tourism >> Historic Sites
Found 14 resultsDisplaying 1 through 10

1 2 >>

Bi Plane / Train Race Landing Marker
Address: 612 S. Illinois Ave  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Mt. Pulaski, IL
Phone: 217-792-3719
On September 29th, 1910, just 7 years after their first flight, a historic race between a Wright brothers bi-plane and an Illinois Central steam train took place from Washington Park in Chicago to the state fairgrounds in Springfield. Wilbur Wright was a passenger on the train while Walter R. Brookins piloted the bi-plane. The Wright brother's plane landed in Mt. Pulaski in an open field owned by F.W. Obermill for its second refueling during the historic flight. The bi-plane won the race which established the first airline route in Illinois and won the $10,000 prize offered by the Record-Herald newspaper. Two worlds records were set at this landing - sustained flight of 88 miles, plus the record for long distance flight of 169 miles. The bi-plane averaged 33 MPH at the height of 1,000 ft., despite losing 1 wheel during its landing at Mt. Pulaski.
City of Lincoln Christening Site
Address: 101 N. Chicago Street  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Lincoln, IL
Phone: 217-732-8687
The Lincoln christening site is located on the corner of Broadway and Sangamon streets in downtown Lincoln. On August 27th, 1853, lots for the new town of Lincoln were being sold. Abraham Lincoln was present and was asked to christen the town by one of the promoters. Abraham Lincoln selected a watermelon from a nearby cart and christened the town with the juice from that watermelon. The city of Lincoln is the only one named after Abraham Lincoln before he became famous.
Kickapoo Town - Memorial Park
Address: End of Memorial Park Road  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Lincoln, IL
Phone: 217-732-8687
George Washington was President in 1790 when a group of Kickapoo Braves captured Ann Gilham, her daughter and two sons from their Kentucky cabin and forced them to travel over land to the place - known as Kickapoo Town, a major Kickapoo village in Central Illinois. They were held captive here for nearly two years until located and ransomed by the husband, James Gilham. In 1815, the United States Congress granted Ann Gilham 160 acres of land as compensation for her ordeal. In the early 1830's, the Kickapoos were forced from Central Illinois. This location later became and flourished as the location for the Lincoln Chautauqua in the early 1900's. This area has been know as Lincoln Memorial Park since the middle 1900's after purchase by the city of Lincoln.

Related Categories:
Attractions, Historic Sites
Langston Hughes' First Poem Marker
Address: 101 8th Street  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Lincoln, IL
Phone: 217-732-8687
This internationally known African-American author (1902 - 1967) acknowledges in his autobiography "The Big Sea" that he wrote his first poem while attending Central School here in Lincoln. Ethel Welch, his eighth grade teacher, asked him to write the graduation poem. With no prior experience, Hughes prepared an eight-verse piece to honor each of the school's eight instructors, and the poem was printed in the commencement program. Her graduated in 1916 with a class of eighty students. Hughes, a native of Joplin, Missouri, who had grown up in Lawrence, Kansas, had come to Lincoln in 1915 to live with his mother and step-father. He attended High School in Cleveland, Ohio.
Lincoln Chautauqua Grounds
Address: End of Memorial Park Road  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Lincoln, IL
Phone: 217-732-8687

Related Categories:
Attractions, Historic Sites
Lincoln House Hotel Site
Address: 501 Broadway Street  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Lincoln, IL
Phone: 217-732-2929
Located right across the street from the railroad tracks in downtown Lincoln, the Lincoln House Hotel served as a resting and dining place for many dignitaries as well as weary travelers. The first Lincoln Hotel was erected in 1854 by John Gillett, Virgil Hickox, and Robert Latham (Lincoln founders). Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas had dinner here in 1858 during a stop on the campaign train. It is also noted that Leonard Volk first met Abraham Lincoln on the sidewalk on July 16th, 1858 and arranged to make Lincoln's life mask. On April 10th, 1870, fire broke out and destroyed the hotel. John Gillett rebuilt a magnificent four-story building on the site of the original building in 1875. This building served in this way until sometime in the 1920's or 30's when the top three floors were removed. The first floor still remains to this day and serves as a place of residence for local businesses.
Lincoln Rallies The People
Address: 601 Broadway St  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Lincoln, IL
Phone: 217-732-8687
Located on the grounds of the Logan County Courthouse, a statue commemorates the speech that Abraham Lincoln delivered to almost 5,000 citizens on October 16th, 1858 as part of the Lincoln-Douglas debates. Citizens from all over gathered to hear his speech as part of the rally. During the 1858 Senate race, both Lincoln and Douglas spoke in dozens of central Illinois communities. This speech by Lincoln is considered a response to a previous speech by Stephen A. Douglas given on September 4th, 1858 in Lincoln (4th & Logan streets) when Mr. Lincoln sat in the audience uninvited to respond and was an important event in the future President's political career. The Lincoln statue is located on the courthouse lawn near the intersection of Kickapoo & Pulaski streets.
Middletown's Historic Air Events Marker
Address: 204 S. Madison Street  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Middletown, IL
Phone: 217-732-8687
Middletown has had quite a few historic air events in its history. On October 9th, 1911, Calbraith Perry Rodgers landed the Wright brothers built Vin Fiz aircraft on Harmon Hinck's farm as part of the first transcontinental flight. This flight also carried the first Illinois air mail from Peoria to Springfield. In 1929, Charles A. Lindbergh landed in Middletown in route from Peoria to Springfield. On January 18th, 1984, John Petrenh landed his six story AX-7 hot air balloon, the Flying Lightbulb, on Barton's farm making Middletown the only city where five world records were set in one balloon flight. On October 6th, 1986, James R. Lloyd Jr. landed the Vin Fiz II on James Glenn's farm, marking the seventy-fifth anniversary of C.P. Rodgers memorial skyway flight.

Related Categories:
Attractions, Historic Sites
Mt. Pulaski Courthouse State Historic Site
Address: 113 S. Washington Street  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Mt. Pulaski, IL
Phone: 217-792-3919
Since 1848, the Mt. Pulaski Courthouse has adorned Mt. Pulaski's public square. The courthouse was built to house county offices during the city's years as the Logan County seat from 1848 until 1855. Abraham Lincoln practiced law in this building during his days on the 8th Judicial Circuit. The courtroom on the second floor has the original wooden floor upon which Abraham Lincoln once paced during his law practice here. Since its days as a courthouse, the building has served as a school, a post office, and a city office building before becoming a state owned historic site in 1936. Today, the Mt. Pulaski Courthouse has been restored to its 1847 appearance and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Postville Courthouse State Historic Site
Address: 914 5th Street  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Lincoln, IL
Phone: 217-732-8687
Constructed in 1840, the original building, until 1848, was one of the courts in which Abraham Lincoln argued cases while traveling the historic Eighth Judicial Circuit from 1839 to 1848. Long after being converted to residential use, the original courthouse was purchased by Henry Ford and in 1929 moved to his Dearborn, Michigan, Greenfield Village museum. This replica was constructed in 1953 on the original site as part of the city of Lincoln’s centennial celebration. Annual events include the 1800's Craft Fair held during the Lincoln Art & Balloon Festival and the 1840's Christmas Open House.