Currently Exploring Items:
    In category: Attractions & Tourism >> Local Landmarks
Found 17 resultsDisplaying 1 through 10

1 2 >>

A. E. Church Building
Address: 106/108 SW Arch Street  Get Directions
City: Atlanta, IL
Phone: 217-648-5077
Constructed in 1893, this building located at 106/108 SW Arch Street in downtown Atlanta was originally known as Church’s Furniture Store & Funeral Home. The A.E. Church Building is one of Atlanta’s best-preserved examples of late 19th century architecture. Unlink many of the commercial structures along Arch Street, neither the first or second stories of the Church’s Building’s façade were designed to reflect the name of the street on which the property was located. Mr. Church was active in Atlanta’s commercial and cultural affairs. He not only successfully operated his furniture store and funeral home business, he also organized and led “Church’s Band” a well-known and popular element of Atlanta’s cultural scene for many years.
Allen Chapel AME Church
Address: 910 Broadway Street  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Lincoln, IL
Phone: 217-732-8687
Allen Chapel is one of the oldest, continuously used African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) churches in the area and it was organized in 1866. Allen Chapel was named to the National Register of Historic Places on May 12, 2004, and was designated a Historical Site by the City of Lincoln in 2003. This small brick building at the corner of Broadway and Sherman streets has ties to many famous, historical people. Allen Chapel member Aaron Dyer had been a driver for the Underground Railroad in Springfield. Aaron Dyer's grandson, William Dyer, also a member, was one of the first Black surgeons of World War I. Renowned poet Langston Hughes was among those who regularly attended literary meetings at Allen Chapel.

Related Categories:
Attractions, Local Landmarks
Atlanta Public Library & Clock Tower
Address: 100 SE Race Street  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Atlanta, IL
Phone: 217-648-2112
Designed in the Neo-Classical style of the 1840s, the interior of the building has high ceilings and a gilded, domed rotunda. In 1979, the Library building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in recognition of its architectural significance for the period 1900 - 1924. In addition to its octagonal shape, the library features a limestone exterior and a prominent clock tower. The 36-foot tall clock tower houses a 1909 Seth Thomas clock and was originally located at the Atlanta High School building. When the high school was to be razed in 1979, concerned citizens began a “Save the Clock” fundraising campaign and the restoration/relocation of the clock tower was completed in 1982. Today, citizens take turns winding the clock to keep it operational. These “Keepers of the Clock” must do so three times a week. The 36-inch, 1,200 pound brass bell sounds on the hour.
Bethel Church & Cemetery
Address: County Road 20  Get Directions
City: Emden, IL
Phone: 217-732-8687

Related Categories:
Attractions, Local Landmarks
Bi Plane / Train Race Landing Marker
Address: 612 S. Illinois Ave  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Mt. Pulaski, IL
Phone: 217-792-3719
On September 29th, 1910, just 7 years after their first flight, a historic race between a Wright brothers bi-plane and an Illinois Central steam train took place from Washington Park in Chicago to the state fairgrounds in Springfield. Wilbur Wright was a passenger on the train while Walter R. Brookins piloted the bi-plane. The Wright brother's plane landed in Mt. Pulaski in an open field owned by F.W. Obermill for its second refueling during the historic flight. The bi-plane won the race which established the first airline route in Illinois and won the $10,000 prize offered by the Record-Herald newspaper. Two worlds records were set at this landing - sustained flight of 88 miles, plus the record for long distance flight of 169 miles. The bi-plane averaged 33 MPH at the height of 1,000 ft., despite losing 1 wheel during its landing at Mt. Pulaski.
Downey Building
Address: 110/112 SW Arch Street  Get Directions
City: Atlanta, IL
Phone: 217-648-5077
In 1867, Alexander Downey, one of Atlanta’s prominent businessmen, constructed this two-story brick building after a fire two years earlier destroyed the wooden commercial building that originally stood at this location. The Downey Building was designed to house two separate commercial enterprises at the street level, and originally featured large arched windows on its first floor, in keeping with the “theme” of the design of the other commercial properties along Arch Street here in Atlanta’s business district. Over time the first floor was “modernized”, but the Downey Building still reflects a connection to Arch Street in the window details of its second story. A staircase located through an arched doorway in the center of the first floor façade leads to a joint second story and separates the building’s two ground floor spaces.
Elkhart Cemetery
Address: County Road 10  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Elkhart, IL
Phone: 217-947-2046
Located on the hill and surrounded by woods, the cemetery dates back as far as 1860. In 1886, the Elkhart Village Board had the cemetery officially surveyed and lotted. Veterans of wars since the Mexican War and the Indian Wars are buried in the cemetery. Famous Elkhart figures John D. Gillett (1819-1899), farmer and cattle breeder; Captain A. H. Bogardus (1834-1913), sharp shooter champion, inventor of the Bogardus Trap, and famous as a partner with the Cody-Salisbury Wild West show and Annie Oakley; and Governor Richard J. Oglesby (1824-1899), Governor of Illinois and intimate personal friend of Abraham Lincoln, are buried in the Elkhart cemetery.

Related Categories:
Attractions, Local Landmarks
Elkhart Gas Station
Address: Old Route 66 & Governor Oglesby Street  Get Directions
City: Elkhart, IL
Phone: 217-947-2046
On the corner of Old Route 66 and Governor Oglesby street in Elkhart stands a relic of the Route 66 days. Though empty now, the Elkhart Gas Station stands as a reminder of America’s Mother Road.
Elkhart Township Hall
Address: 109 N. Bogardus Street  Show Map  Get Directions
City: Elkhart, IL
Phone: 217-947-2046
This building remains much the same as it was when it was built in 1905. It is still used for Elkhart Township board meetings and periodically for events.

Related Categories:
Attractions, Local Landmarks
Geographic Center of Illinois Marker
Address: E. Olive & S. Melvin Streets   Get Directions
City: Chestnut, IL
Phone: 217-732-8687
Just off Route 54 in Chestnut is the geographic center of the State of Illinois. Inside this small park, you will find the official center of Illinois indicated by a marker.

Related Categories:
Attractions, Local Landmarks